Friday, September 18, 2009

Locked Out

This afternoon we got a little behind on getting down for a nap. Needless to say Annika was too wound up for a nap and wasn't cooperating. I was desperate for a nap because I haven't slept well the past two nights. I gave up on Annika taking a nap on her own, so I decided I'd change her diaper and let her take a nap with me.

I don't really use the diaper pail anymore, I just throw the diapers in the trash outside. On my quick little excursion to the trashcan, Annika locked the deadbolt resulting in me being locked out.

I went to my neighbors house to use their phone, but as luck would have it I couldn't remember Joe's phone number. I emailed him at work, but as it turns out he wasn't at his desk or checking his email. I called the secretary's number at least 10 times, but of course she was gone for the day. Good thing Annika wasn't scared to be on her own.

The neighbors and I tried to get Annika to unlock the door and let us in, but she was having too much fun playing in the bathroom to give us much notice. Every once and a while she would come to the door to laugh at us and show us the mess she was getting into. The dogs escaped from the back yard and Shakespeare ended up roaming the neighborhood for at least a half hour. No matter how soon Joe could get home, it wouldn't be soon enough.

Joe ended up getting home about an hour after I got locked out. Annika seemed pretty proud of everything she had gotten into. She got into the Q-tips, lotion, toiletries, and a Costco sized bag of walnuts from the kitchen. But the most worrisome thing we found was our toilet was full of Dixie cups. I hope that isn't a sign she found a new source of drinking water.

No comments: