First state after leaving Maryland.
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Making the Trek
After 7 days, over 2000 miles, and a few stops along the way, we finally made it to New Mexico. The kids did awesome and besides a few extra potty breaks along they let us stay right on schedule with our driving. We stayed the first night in Washington, PA, the next in Indianapolis, the next two in Nauvoo, the next somewhere in Kansas, the next two in Colorado Springs and finally arrived in Albuquerque. The drive was nice but would have been better if Joe and I could ride together instead of having to take two cars.
The last time we will probably go through this tunnel. Annika loved going through it every time we drove to Ohio. Seems strange we are on the other side of the country now.
We spent the afternoon in Dayton and took the kids to the Boonshoft Museum to burn off some energy. Wanted to go to a nearby park, but the weather was so hot and humid and there was a heat advisory, so we stuck to the indoors.
Brayden LOVED this recycle truck. We had to visit it a few times for him and he cried every time we made him get off so another kid could have a turn.
There was a little zoo inside the museum. This sea otter loved being the center of attention. When people walked up to the window he would swim up to them and stand on the other side of the window right in front of them.
We drove to Indiana after the museum and spent the night in Indianapolis. Don't have a picture of the Indiana sign, but got on of Illinois.
Our first stop in Illinois was Carthage. This is where Joseph, Hyrum, and those with them were jailed. The family in charge of the jail only held them in bars for a few hours, then treated them like invited guests. They even all ate together with the family.
The room Joseph and Hyrum died in. The window in the background is the one Joseph attempted to jump to safety from without success.
Nauvoo temple! The experience in historic Nauvoo was amazing. The food in the city, not so much! The view of the temple never got old!
Jonathan Browning gun. The guns he made here he added the label, "Holiness to the Lord, Our Preservation."
The missionary who gave us the tour of the Browning House. I thought only Senior Missionaries were assigned to Nauvoo, but during the summer young missionaries are assigned to the mission as entertainers who preform in the musicals put on at night. This was his second mission, his first being a two year one in Wisconsin.
There is a kids area with games and activities of the times. Annika loved this horse and the lamb in the next picture.
It was hard to believe how close the house was to the banks of the Mississippi. Those green bushes are growing in the river.
Don't have a picture of us entering Kansas, but Joe had talked so bad about driving through it I didn't have any expectations of it. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it! Check out the beautiful sky!
Annika and Joe went to a dinosaur museum earlier in the day and Annika came out in tears after watching a film where the dinosaurs died. She was so upset and sobbing. We took a drive up the canyon and let the kids play along side a stream. It lightened Annika's mood and was a nice afternoon.
I love this picture of Brayden. He's like "What?"
After Colorado we finally made it to New Mexico. The first few days here I thought 3 years can't go fast enough, but we've been here less than 3 weeks and I'm already starting to enjoy the change of scenery.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
You should have stopped to see us when you were in Colorado Springs. It seems like everyone we know is in Albuquerque or has been there recently. Miss you guys.
Wow! I have been so out of the loop! So I knew that you were moving, but I didn't know that you are pregnant with baby number 3! Congrats! Sorry that I haven't emailed you in awhile. What's your phone number, I think I would like to just talk to you over the phone.
Post a Comment